On this particular Wanderlust Wednesday, I was joined by Ismael Bravo, the Business Development Manager for the US and Canada for Ocean by H10 Hotels which consists of seven all-inclusive properties located in Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica.
The Ocean Hotels are five-star resorts that feature both family friendly and adult only properties on some of the most spectacular beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean and are filled with everything you could ask for – and more – to enjoy a perfect getaway whether it be for the weekend or an entire week!
Now – hands up – who’s ready to join me on some hotel inspections in the Riviera Maya, Punta Cana and Trelawney? I thought so – let’s begin the tour!
About the Brand: The Ocean Brand of the H10 Hotel family is a brand that you will currently only find in the Caribbean and Mexico. As I noted above – but is always worth mentioning again – they are all five-star resorts. Each one is all-inclusive offering unlimited a la carte dining with no reservations necessary or required and features themed bars and restaurants including Route 66 – which is American, Blue Moon – which is adults only, Mikes Coffee Shop and a piano bar – which also is adults only.
Every family property also has that all important exclusive adults only area because as Ismael noted – sometimes you just need that quiet area where you can go and dine or enjoy a drink without the kids around.
Destinations: The Ocean collection consists of three properties in Mexico, two in Jamaica and two in the Dominican Republic.
- Ocean Coral and Turquesa: Located in Punta Coral in the area of Puerto Morelos this is a family friendly resort. But just because it is family friendly doesn’t mean it is not a great option for adults – for say a bachelor or bachelorette party or girls or guys getaway!
Although the property is very spread out giving you that much needed elbow room as well as that all important social distancing, Ismael assured us that you can easily walk wherever you want with no need for golf cart transportation. They have also created it so that it is separated into areas – that are horseshoe shaped – each for a different purpose. One area is all about families and includes the aquatic park and kid’s club. Another is where you will find the activity pool and a pool bar and typically young people looking for fun – think music, DJ’s and activities. And the third would be the more laid-back adult only area.
- Accommodations: Here you will find 590 suites in eight different categories with junior suites that can hold up to five occupants with a maximum of four adults. Plus, almost all of the rooms are ocean view – either partial or full due to the fact that all rooms face the ocean. Since the first floor is ground level however – these are considered garden view. And as for specific amenities – in the family area rooms you will find often requested items such as strollers and cribs.
- Gastronomy and Bars: There are 11 restaurants and seven bars for you to try out – and Ismael reminded us that no reservations are ever needed at any of the Ocean properties – they are simply first come, first served. And for dessert – or an afternoon snack there is an ice cream parlor on property! This property also has an option for thematic dinners – a Moet dinner and Mayan dinner – at an extra cost.
- Activities: Featuring three swimming pools and one wading pool and a water park – plus the ocean – there is no shortage of water activities here! They also feature both a kid’s club and a teen’s club – which I love that they have it broken down. The kid’s club is for ages three to eleven and the teen’s club is for ages 12 to 16 or 17 but per Ismael there really is not a top age restriction for teens as they have Wi and a Play Station so really whoever wants to partake in them. They also house a bowling alley which is another thing I love about Ocean properties – and of course it is no extra charge.
- Ocean Maya Royal: Located in Puerto Morelos, Ocean Maya Royal is only 45 minutes from the Cancun Airport and 15 minutes from the Riviera Maya area. This is an adult only resort making it perfect for singles, couples, romance and fun!
Maya Royal is very small property. For instance – you can be from the lobby to the ocean or to the main pool in about five minutes so once again no transportation around the grounds needed! That being said – there is plenty of outdoor spaces so again you really aren’t going to be on top of anybody.
- Accommodations: There are 320 suites in six categories and the rooms here are spacious with lots of elbow room. Ismael advised that 80% of the inventory here are one king bed rooms – which they can guarantee. However, if you are traveling with friends there are some rooms available with two double beds.
- Gastronomy and Bars: Featuring six restaurants and five bars – some with fine dining others more casual – here you will find really great opportunities as far as places to eat. Ismael shared that the Italian restaurant onsite here is one of his favorites as it is completely oceanfront and the perfect place to watch the sunset while you dine or enjoy an after-dinner coffee or drink. Sounds romantic to me! And – in the wide-open lobby area, you will find a fabulous lobby bar where on any given night you might find karaoke or a saxophonist or pianist. There is also a sports bar, as well as that all important pool bar.
- Activities: Featuring two outdoor pools with single jacuzzi beds and once again that fabulous ocean – plenty here for my water babies! You can also break out a sweat here as there are three tennis courts and beach volleyball options as well.
- Ocean Riviera Paradise: Riviera Paradise is located about ten minutes from Playa del Carmen in the Riviera Maya area and is about 50 minutes from the Cancun airport This is a new property that has only been open a few years and is another family friendly resort.
- Accommodations: This very large resort features 974 suites divided among four sections which include the adults only section, the family section, the Eden section and the Privilege section. The junior suites here have capacity for up to five people with a maximum of four adults. These beautiful rooms all have a different flavor from section to section with no two rooms identical.
- Gastronomy and Bars: With ten restaurants – which are all in the same area and 12 different bars to frequent – including a stunning lobby bar in the equally stunning lobby as well as a sports bar – there is plenty of variety here for you as far as food and drink! And they too have a coffee shop and ice cream parlor as added treats.
- Activities: Boasting four swimming pools and an aquatic park, a bowling alley, a kid’s club, a teens club and a disco – I am absolutely certain no one is going to find the time to be bored here!
- Ocean Coral Spring: Located in Trelawney – which is exactly between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios – this is a new destination for the Ocean brand and the very first hotel they opened in Jamaica – which was in December 2019. It is family friendly property – but don’t let that scare away you singles and couples!
- Accommodations: Coral Spring has 513 suites and each of these junior suites once again holds five guests but no more than four adults per room.
- Gastronomy and Bars: Home to seven restaurants and nine bars including a sports bar plus Mike’s Coffee and that all important ice cream parlor!
- Activities: In addition to ocean fun there is one large swimming pool, one water playground – i.e. – water park – and one of my personal favorites – a lazy river! You will also find a bowling alley and a disco for day and evening exercise. And once again there will also be the kids and teens clubs as well as each family property in the Ocean brand has the same amenities.
- Ocean Eden Bay: Opening in May 2021 Eden Bay is right next door to Coral Spring and is an adult only property – making this the perfect opportunity for destination weddings and multigenerational family reunions as the families can stay at Coral Spring and the adults at Eden Bay! Bonus – if you stay at Eden Bay you can share the Coral Spring amenities making it an added value to the adult only hotel. And the ability to walk from one property to the other makes it very convenient!
- Accommodations: Featuring mostly one king bed rooms – some of which even have four post beds! There is also a fabulous two-level suite available – the Rooftop Junior Suite – which features a jacuzzi and sitting area on the roof! Sign me up for that one!
- Gastronomy and Bars: With plenty of different international cuisine featuring lots of different flavors – you are not going to go hungry here! You will also find their Route 66 American restaurant at this property which offers wings, hamburgers and hot dogs – which Ismael commented is always the type of kind of food you are looking to fill your belly with after a night of dancing in the disco!
- Activities: The property has an amazing beach area as they are situated on a little bay which means calmer waters with no big waves making it for a nice quiet area to read a book or sip a tropical drink. There is also the option of a pool here – and of course – you have access to all of the activities at Coral Springs next door!
- Ocean Blue and Sand: Located in Bavaro – just 20 to 25 minutes from the Punta Cana airport – this property was totally renovated and re-opened as a brand-new property last year – so for those of you guys who may have tried it before – the property has gone through a full renovation and is now a five-star resort so it’s a really great opportunity for you to explore it again! Blue and Sand is a family friendly resort option.
- Accommodations: There are 708 suites and views include garden view, ocean view and some of them are even oceanfront. As per Ismael there is not a lot of inventory for those oceanfront rooms so if you want to make sure you get that view -we need to plan it as soon as possible so you have a better chance of snagging one. And of course, those junior suites have the capacity for up to five passengers but with a maximum of four adults and one child.
- Gastronomy and Bars: There are nine restaurants and one bar here at Blue and Sand. Among the restaurants is a Route 66 featuring beautiful classic cars. Ismael made the comment that the Route 66 restaurants remind him of our American Johnny Rockets restaurants – and I agree but they definitely have their own special flair. And don’t forget about the standard Ocean resort coffee shop and ice cream parlor!
- Activities: There are two large swimming pools in addition to the ocean for swimming galore. There is also a casino on property for you to try your luck and the normal Ocean property amenities such as a bowling alley, disco, kids club and teens club. Again – lots of activities on property for you guys to really enjoy day and night.
- Ocean El Faro: Located in Uvero Alto – which is also near Punta Cana – this is a much larger property – and is a family friendly property as well – but does have an adult only section available too. The adult only section is completely separated from the family section with the only thing that you share being the restaurants and certain other amenities.
- Accommodations: There are 910 suites and once again the junior suites will accommodate five people but with a maximum of four adults. Here you can also opt for a swim out room which is always a cool thing as you just walk out your door to your own little pool area. Ismael did note that these are exclusive to the adults only section as for security reason for all the families they cannot allow kids in this room category.
- Gastronomy and Bars: With ten restaurants and 14 bars I’m super excited about this property and all of its dining options! Ismael pointed out that at this property the Route 66 is going with a new concept or a new décor and feel – so it doesn’t have that Johnny Rocket vibe. Here you will also find one of Ocean’s Blue Moon restaurants – which is the adult only option they offer – as well as an adult’s only piano bar. And they also have a sports bar where they have special activities going on during certain sporting events. One of Ismael’s favorites is the lobby and it magnificent lobby bar with breathtaking views.
- Activities: Here you will find several swimming pools – including one in the adults only section for you to enjoy your quiet time. There is also an aquatic park here and another lazy river – where – by the way – you can grab a drink along your journey and be gently pulled along with the slow-moving current. Sounds like heaven to me! And we didn’t forget the kiddos – because – of course – being a family property you will find bowling, a kid’s club and a teen’s club here too.
- Privilege Services: This is one of the exclusive services that Ocean properties offer. The difference between the standard guest and a typical guest are the amenities and perks. When you book a Privilege room you get an exclusive room and exclusive services including private check-in and checkout, Privilege dining – meaning you may make restaurant reservations before you arrive at the hotel, Privilege lounge access, Privilege beach area with valet beds, Privileged room amenities and butler services. In some of the destinations you have even more specific amenities in the room such a lobster dinner, bath robes and 24-hour room service. So, this is something we can certainly discuss when we are creating your itinerary to see if makes sense for your particular family or traveling partners – and if it does, I will absolutely quote it for you!
- Destination Weddings: We talked a little bit earlier about destination weddings and Ismael wanted us to know that they pretty much offer any kind you want – civil or legal, traditional or religious – you choose. And there are also opportunities for LGBTQ weddings in Mexico where there is a specialized wedding planner that is there to assist with same sex marriages.
Updated COVID-19 Information: As each property resides in a different destination please check with the Office of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Health in the destination you are interested in visiting for up-to-date entry requirements.
For the CDC’s most up to date information on COVID-19 click here. And for the most up to date COVID protocols at Ocean by H10 Hotels click here.
And there you have it – you guys have some great open spaces to think about in three great countries where you can relax and rejuvenate without having to deal with crowds. Contact me and let’s get started on finding the perfect property for you!
For more details on the fabulous Ocean Hotels by H10 Hotels, their price points and more – contact your Travel Guru! Oh, and if you need a payment plan to fund your travel adventure – we got those too!
*NOTE: Starting April 1st all international visitors over age 15 to the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, which includes Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum, will have to pay a new tourism tax of 224 pesos.